Sunday, October 31, 2010

Good and Evil

Sometimes I think that late night conversations are the most interesting and thought provoking conversations. Anyways, we were discussing the idea of good and evil...or can I say Evil (because it just seems to power over the good). I don't know if it was more of a conversation/ debate or just an assemblage of alternating questions. Either way, it really got both of us thinking, especially me about this idea of Evil. Interesting since I have recently been exposing myself to more knowledge about peace, enlightenment, and buddhist values, and attaining that sort of happiness and good. Is there such a thing as Evil?

The one thing I truly don't understand and honestly don't know if I ever will is the way that people treat each other. What is the point of flashing glares, saying or doing things to intentionally hurt someone? Or are people really that blind to see that they are doing such harm?

Of course, my mind goes straight to thinking about the soul. The idea of evil being hidden in the soul first intrigued me when I was home at one point in the summer, though of course at that point I thought the entire Universe was evil. Really.

I always thought that the soul was one thing that stayed pure. The one "good" part of a person could be found in the soul, but now I wonder if that is really true and whether I should really believe this. If perhaps there is some sort of evil in the soul, can it be found in each soul, or just some. I think that perhaps some people are just born with a bit of evil in them, perhaps others develop it over a time. This evilness is like a dark cloud lingering over a person's soul blocking out not only the good they could see in themselves, but the good in others.

So what is the soul? Is it a reflection of the pure or the evil? When we die and at the very least our souls are left behind where does that evil go? What then is haunted by that evil and is it in the same form?

I could make various assumptions of my own, instead I shall continue to question...at least for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment