Sunday, November 14, 2010

Bright Star

I never thought that moment would be one I would remember always, I simply was looking for some peace of mind.

As I was driving, I decided it would be a good idea to stop and take a stroll across Carter's Bridge. The Yellowstone river looked amazingly serene under the bright moonlight hidden mostly by the clouds. I was shivering, teeth chattering together yet I continued to stand there in amazement. The moment was so calm and breathtaking perhaps because it was the most quiet moment of my day. I headed back towards my car and looked back to see if the moon had decided to emerge from the clouds even a little, it seemed so bright even hidden there in the sky. As I looked up, I saw not the moon but the form the clouds had taken, or rather the sky peering through the clouds. To me, it looked like a bird of some sort...the wings, the head and body- so clear to me. The outline was illuminated by the moonlight, but still the moon was not visible. It was amazing how this image took over all the thoughts that had been racing through my mind at least for the next few moments.

By this time, I really wanted some warmth so I got into my car and the random mix of songs on a CD I made was playing...it was Convulsion from the Bright Star soundtrack.

I drove down 89 listening to the poem Bright Star and simply enjoyed the darkness and serenity of the moment. As I was merging onto the interstate, I kept my eye on the sky...occasionally watching the road (distracted driver? Yes.) I am glad I did though because where the image of the bird had been was now something else. The clouds changed their form, but what it was this time I couldn't make out...all I saw was one bright star in the center of the sky that was surrounded by clouds.

One very bright star.

No comments:

Post a Comment